Monday, October 25, 2010

The Moment I Knew I Was An American

     This is a difficult question to answer. I think I've always known I'm an American. Okay, let me rephrase that though. Of course I've always known I'm an American. I was born in Chicago, I've been raised in the same house all my life. It's more than being born in America though. I went to school at the age of five to learn to read and write and do math. I learned Spanish so well I could almost speak fluently. The very fact that I had the chance to learn it that well should have been a sign to me that I'm American, tough I didn't acknowledge it at the time. I learned from an early age history of my country and the presidents. I don't think there was a real moment when I realized that I am an American. I've just always known.
     Of course, there have been times when that fact is more prominent than others. I've traveled from a young age, France and England at the age of nine, then off to Thailand at age twelve, only to visit Scotland and Greece in eighth grade, and Costa Rica a couple years later. I am so lucky to be able to visit these places, and it makes me realize the privileged world in which I grew up. I've had the chance to travel to several places of the globe, but each time it is clear to me that the culture I know is different from any of these countries. Some speak different languages, eat different foods, have different religions and family values. Everyone is different. That's why I think there was never a real moment of realization to me, that I am an American. Because all cultures are different. Especially with the fact that American culture is so diverse, it's hard to identify myself with a single "American culture".

4 comments:

  1. How do you feel about how other Americans are portrayed around the world? I feel like you could've explained this to the reader. It kind of left a hole in the blog that was filled with nothing....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Casey, shut up :P Just kidding. I think Americans around the world are portrayed as either these beautiful, rich, powerful creatures who have everything (which is certainly not entirely true), or as fat, lazy, loud people. To the latter I honestly can't say I disagree. I think Americans take things for granted, and some people are just lazy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think some americans DO take things for granted, not everyone, but a lot. And they take the fact that they're "american" for granted. I'm glad you acknowledge that, because a lot of people don't understand how lucky they are :P

    ReplyDelete